Friday, September 16, 2011

Skillet Chili Mac

I made this the other night and it was delicious. I love a meal that can come together quickly like this and yet taste great. I think it could have used more pasta, so next time I would probably add another 1/4-1/2 cup water and 1/4-1/2 cup more pasta. Also, I only used half the cheese (and stirred it in according to directions). I thought that was plenty of cheese (I used half shredded parmesan and half cheddar) so if you are trying to cut calories, this is a great way. I also think the oil could be eliminated from the first step-and my kids were not huge fans of the green chiles-but that's a matter of personal taste. Enjoy!

Skillet Chili Mac
Source: Mimi's Fit Foods

1 T. oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, minced
3/4 T. chili powder
1/2 T. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
4 oz. (1 cup) penne pasta (whole wheat pasta boosts the healthy factor!)
1 can diced green chiles, drained (optional)
1 cup shredded cheese (any kind-reduced fat if you are watching calories), divided

Heat oil in skillet, add ground beef, onion, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease. Add garlic and brown sugar and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce, water and pasta. Cover and simmer until pasta is done, about 12-15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in half of cheese and chiles until cheese is melted and chiles are warmed through. Serve with additional cheese sprinkled on top.

Serves 4.
8 pts plus

No comments:

Post a Comment